Provider Administration Savings
Overview of the issue and challenges here.
Overview of the most frequently used methodologies for estimating current administrative spending, as well as savings under reform here.
Common Oversights & Errors
Discuss commonly overlooked issues here.
Comprehensive annotated bibliography of relevant sources here.
- Collins, Sara R., Rachel Nuzum, Sheila D. Rustgi, Stephanie Mika, Cathy Schoen, and Karen Davis. How Health Care Reform Can Lower the Costs of Insurance Administration. Washington, DC: The Commonwealth Fund, July 2009.
- Himmelstein, David U., Miraya Jun, Reinhard Busse, Karine Chevreul, Alexander Geissler, Patrick Jeurissen, Sarah Thomson, Marie-Amelie Vinet and Steffie Woolhandler. “A Comparison Of Hospital Administrative Costs In Eight Nations: US Costs Exceed All Others By Far,” Health Affairs 33, no. 9 (September 2014): 1586-1594.
- Institute of Medicine. The Healthcare Imperative: Lowering Costs and Improving Outcomes: Workshop Series Summary. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press, 2010.
- Jiwani, Aliya, David Himmelstein, Steffie Woolhandler, and James G Kahn. “Billing and insurance-related administrative costs in United States’ health care: synthesis of micro-costing evidence,” BMC Health Services Research 14 (2014): 556.
- Kahn, James G., Richard Kronick, Mary Kreger, and David N. Gans. “The Cost Of Health Insurance Administration In California: Estimates For Insurers, Physicians, And Hospitals,” Health Affairs 24, no. 6 (November/December 2005): 1629-1639.
- Woolhandler, Steffie, Terry Campbell, and David U. Himmelstein. “Costs of Health Care Administration in the United States and Canada,” New England Journal of Medicine 349, no. 8 (August 21, 2003): 768-775.