How does this fit into the Patients over Profits pledge?
The “Patients Over Profits” Pledge calls on politicians to reject campaign contributions from executives, lobbyists, and PACs affiliated with the hospital, insurance, and pharma corporations within the corporate front group, the Partnership for America’s Health Care Future.
We need you to hold your legislators and candidates accountable - and the first step is uncovering their campaign contributions from the Partnership! This guide will show you exactly how to figure that out, so you can go to your candidate with the knowledge you need to successfully apply pressure.
Hell ya! How can I get started?
Step 1: Getting Started
- Visit https://www.fec.gov/.
- This website has a list of everyone who has donated to legislators, from individual contributors to organizations and unions
- On the left side of the screen, click on “Campaign finance data”.
- Click on "Candidates", and when the next page loads, click again on "All Candidates".
- Type in the name of your legislator where it says “Candidate Name or ID”
- Once you type in your legislator’s name, there will be a list of legislators with that name. Go through the list and click on the correct legislator for your district where it says ID
- This will take you to a new page that looks like this. Click on the dollar amount in “Other Committees Contributions” in order to get a list of the organizations (including unions) that have donated to your legislator.
- If you want to see who individually donated to your legislator, click “Itemized Individual Contributions”.
- Once you click on “Other Committees Contributions”, there will be a list of all the organizations who have donated to your legislator. You can see the title of the organization, their location, the date of donation, and the amount donated.
- To make it easier to view this information, click on the top right icon that says “Export”. This will open the list in an excel spreadsheet. This way you can save the document, adjust the size, etc.
Step 2: Identifying members of the partnership for america's healthcare future
- Now that you have your list....???